GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
The Payroll / Accounts Payable Specialist assists the accounting department with day-to-day, monthly, and year-end operations of Payroll and Account Payable processes. Ensuring payroll is accurate and completed in a timely manner.
CORE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Accounting Accuracy
- Administrative Duties
- Payroll Processing
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to process payroll for multiple states, including union team members
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ensure completion of Accounts Payable vendor processing and maintenance of vendor relationships
- Knowledge of tax withholding, voluntary deductions, garnishments, and fringe benefits
- Able to gather and compile data and prepare reports
- Understanding of the methods, practices, and terminology used in bookkeeping and financial record keeping
- Proficient in data entry and Microsoft Office Suite
- Preferred experience with Sage Accounting Software
- Problem solver whose able to meet deadlines
- High level of accuracy and strong organizational skills
- Able to interface with all levels of personnel within the company
- Flexible and willing to handle last-minute changes and issues as they arise
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
At least five (5) years of experience in job costs, Accounts Payable (A/P), and payroll.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 40lbs.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, listen and maintain visual acuity
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer; largely sedentary role
- Repetitive hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment
- Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform essential functions
CORE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Enter all invoices into Sage
- Review and verify invoices and check requests
- Back-up documentation for all payables
- Research and review records to reconcile discrepancies
- Confirm approvals before processing checks
- Responsible for filing all accounts payable
- Analyze, prioritize, code, and pay bills
- Reconcile accounts payable transactions
- Complete all required paperwork to meet deadlines; both internal and external
- Assist with month-end closing and year-end closing
- Maintain all accounts payable reports, spreadsheets, and corporate accounts payable files
- Answer inquiries from vendors, suppliers, and team members
- Research discrepancies in a professional and courteous manner
- Maintain vendor master files
- 1099 preparation
- Assist the Accounting Department with any additional administrative tasks, when applicable
- Payroll processing and administration
- Provide reporting data and analysis as needed to management
- Oversee amortization, depreciation, and debt schedules
- Make reports easily accessible by administering/saving them as instructed
- Reviews and enters payroll information into the payroll system accurately
- Receives and reviews timesheets and personnel forms related to status changes; examines timesheets for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures timesheets and reports are in compliance with local, state, and federal policies and regulations as well as union payments rules and regulations.
- Audits payroll information and researches discrepancies.
- Obtains and interprets information on payroll-related matters regarding Worker’s Compensation, SDI, SUI, bargaining unit contract, etc.